Monday, February 13, 2012

Our mornings

We are enjoying our morning school time so much. We go into the classroom when Jason leaves for work and begin with the worksheets that are in each box. I set these out the night before so they're ready to go. Silas likes to mimic whatever the big kids do so I had to get him a box too!
After the worksheets are finished they quietly move on to another activity they choose. This morning Leo decided to do some drawing and them practice his cutting...little pieces that fell all over the floor...then together we swept them up.
Silas went to the stringing beads. He usually chooses the wooden train set so this was something new. He wanted to sit next to our visitor...a moth Isabella caught last night in the living room (let other bugs take that as a warning!)
Isabella finished her work last since it is more advanced then she helped Silas do a puzzle. I try to vary her work each day. She usually has a handwriting worksheet, a brain challenge one (something like visual discrimination, etc) and then usually a cutting/ pasting project.
At some point during the hour Elsie is ready for her nap so I leave and put her down. I try to leave something really engaging to work on so that in the time I takes me to go upstairs and put her in bed chaos doesn't erupt. Lol.
After our school time we usually head outside (or downstairs if the weather is bad) to get some energy out. I always try to stop school when they're still having fun so they keep wanting more! :)
At 10:00 we have snack time and I read aloud from our current chapter book. We are on the last chapter of Farmer Boy and we're all sad to let it go! We've really enjoyed it.
After snack they play a bit then get to watch a show at 11. That gives me time to get lunch made and my other jobs. After lunch we head into nap time and that's the end of yet another morning!

1 comment:

  1. It's wonderful that the kids are
    having fun AND learning at the same
    time. Just imagine how much Elsie
    will know by the time she starts
    school!!

    ReplyDelete