Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Little House at our house

For the last few months I have been reading through the Little House series with the kids. We've completed Little House in the Big Woods, Farmer Boy, and are in the middle of On the Banks of Plum Creek. As I expected, the kids are starting to talk and act like the characters in the book (one of the reasons I pick our read aloud books carefully!) The imaginary play stems off of the latest chapter we've read. (Bella calls it "playing Laura Ingalls Wilder"😊)

Today they were playing with some wood in the basement while I did the ironing. The pretend play was all about building a house so they would no longer have to live in the dugout. (to these kids a dugout is not a sports term...it is an underground house the settlers lived in until they could afford to build their real house :) Isabella was Caroline, of course. She always plays the mother. Leo goes back and forth from being "Pa" to being one of Bella's children. Whenever they notice me they all refer to me as "grandma". Even Silas calls me grandma as if it is the most normal thing in the world. Lol

I just love listening to them play! It reminds me of my imagination-centered childhood :) I was blessed to have had that and I'm so glad that my children get to experience the same!



(working on the "house"...)

No comments:

Post a Comment