Saturday, May 5, 2012

Mastodons!

We visited the Mastodon State Historic Site this morning and had quite an adventure. First we checked out the little museum where we got up close and personal with a Mastodon skeleton! We watched a short film in their theatre explaining the history of the Site, which has the Kimmswick Bone Bed, one of the most famous ice age deposits of fossils, including the bones of giant mastodons. Who knew all that was right in our area? I'm continually amazed at how much there is to explore in St Louis.

Anyway, after the film the kids wanted to go on a hike, so I put Elsie in my baby carrier and we headed out on the Wildflower Trail. It seemed totally reasonable...only .4 mile and estimated to be a 15 minutes hike. I forgot about how short the little guy's legs are though, and a gazillion steps and two scrapes later he was DONE! I had to bribe him with a sucker to get him walking up the very last hill but he made it! All the way on his own two legs and gave me big high fives at the end. I was proud of him!
Needless to say, he fell asleep on the way back and is still out :)
















No comments:

Post a Comment